Saturday, October 20, 2012

Makeup Addiction

 Well, this is possibly the least-flattering view of my face ever, but it's really hard to photograph your own eye shadow, especially when you can't seem to find any decent lighting. This was taken on my front porch. I tried to make my eyeshadow match the elytra in my earrings, and I think I was pretty successful! This look was for going to the Bellydance Superstars. If I was going to do it for a performance, I'd do a heavier eyeliner for sure and maybe add some fake lashes, plus of course some glitter lips and more blush!

Bellydancing and makeup are intrinsically entwined for me. I bought my first makeup to wear on the same weekend trip that I took my first class at Plaza de Anaya. I was in my mid-20s and I decided that it was about time that I learned how to wear makeup like a normal adult woman (not that there's anything wrong with NOT wearing makeup!). I bought my first lipstick in preparation for my first student recital later that year. Of course, I still HATE lipstick, but it's a necessary evil when doing tribal makeup. Sparkly gloss just doesn't cut it! After a few years of dancing and one very useful workshop with Jolie, I feel pretty good about my skills now, and I have a total eye makeup addiction. I love experimenting with different colors of shadow, different styles of liner, and GLITTER!

Although I waited until my 20s to learn to apply makeup to my face, I have been painting my nails since I was a teen. I'm fortunate to have nails that grow long and beautiful naturally and I really enjoy painting them in shades of green, black, teal, green, aqua, silver, green green and green. Oh, and occasionally purple or blue. I don't think they've ever been pink or red. Today I splurged on brand new holographic jade green polish, as seen above. It's AMAZING! I can't wait to experiment with how it looks over other colors, since I think it's a little sheer on its own. I wonder if I can find matching holographic glitter for my eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, please feel free to ask questions, post encouragement, make jokes, and otherwise be a part of my blog!