Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thoughts about Makeup

Still love this shot of my makeup from Liora K!
 
I blog a lot about makeup, for a few reasons. One is that I think good makeup is such an important part of a dancer's image. Another is that reviewing cosmetics gives me a good excuse to buy new things. And buying new things forces me to try new things and thus keep developing my skills, instead of getting stuck in a rut. Plus I think things would get boring around here if all I blogged about was Open Stage and my inflexible hips. That said, here's a few random things I wanted to say about makeup.
 
1. Remember when I was going to do 30 days of makeup? Yeaahhhh. Never decide to do a daily makeup challenge while in the midst of a medication change, it was breakout city. Things seem to be back to normal with my complexion though, so I think I need to give it another try.
 
2. I am still really bad at daytime makeup. When I went to my brother-in-law's wedding, I think I might have been the only person wearing colored eyeshadow. So, my question is, who IS wearing all this colorful eyeshadow and liner that's on the market? It seems like everyone is doing neutrals all the time. Although, my mother-in-law did wear teal mascara to match her teal mother-of-the-groom dress. Way to go!
 
3. I now spend a lot of time studying the makeup worn by the female characters in TV shows. Again, lots of neutrals, maybe a smoky eye and red lips if the character is trying to be sexy. I also try to guess how much contouring is going on. Makeup for film fascinates me, because I know it has to be heavy-duty to stand up to the light, but even in closeups on my HDTV I can't actually SEE the makeup. I'm guessing they use airbrushes?
 
4. Makeup is teaching me to appreciate the color pink, as I now own some pink lipsticks/lip tars and I picked up a rosy gold palette, which I think will be next week's review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, please feel free to ask questions, post encouragement, make jokes, and otherwise be a part of my blog!