Friday, June 21, 2013

Textured Nail Polish: Not For Me

That's right, Beauty Blogging for Belly Dancers is finally back, and we're looking at the current trend of textured nail polish! Now, in general I am digging the fact that nail polish has exploded from "colors or French manicures" to this art form that encompasses tiny drawings, crystals, decals, micro glitter, chunky glitter, shaped glitter, holographic glitter (we've already established that I love glitter, right?), matte colors, iridescence, and so much more. But I haven't really been excited by the idea of textured nails. As much as I love glitter, I hate the rough texture that chunky glitter has and how annoying it is to remove from nails.

However, I figured I couldn't accurately judge these polishes without putting them on my nails and wearing them for a few days, and besides... FUZZY COAT? What is up with that. Will it give me weird Muppet nails?

The answer is no. No Muppet nails. I've got Sally Hansen Sugar Coat in Razzleberry on most of my nails, and an accent nail in Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat in Fuzzy Fantasy (yes, it's really called that). I applied them over freshly-buffed nails, but without a base coat (because I forgot) and without a top coat (for reasons I will soon get into).

I'm just going to say that I do not like the Sugar Coat at all, which is a shame because it's a nice color. The directions on the bottle say to apply two thin coats, but it was difficult to get it to go on thinly or smoothly, and the second coat was especially messy because the chunks from the first coat collected the chunks from the second coat. This lead to spots that didn't really get painted at all because they were blocked by a tiny hill of "sugar." You can see how rough the edges are around my cuticles. And this is why I didn't use a topcoat, because the nail surface was so rough that I knew I wouldn't get a smooth application.

As for the Fuzzy Coat, it's not fuzzy, so what's the point? The inclusions might be some sort of fuzz, but once they're trapped in clear nail polish, they function as a non-sparkly glitter, and who wants glitter that doesn't sparkle? That said, it did go on really easily, and two coats gave me a decent amount of "fuzz", so if you like the look, then it's not a bad product.

I painted my nails on Monday and forced myself to endure the weird, rough texture of Sugar Coat until Thursday night. It's kind of like having sandpaper on your fingers. Not quite as abrasive, but it sort of catches on things and feels nasty. It's like the nail polish equivalent of that cottage cheese stuff they spray on the ceiling of apartments. When the time came to remove it, it was difficult because of course the cotton balls snagged on the "sugar", the "fuzz" showed a glitter-like tenacity, and I ended up with blue stains in my cuticles (so if you do like Sugar Coat and you buy this color, be sure to use one of those base coats that prevents staining). I also noticed a bit of peeling on a couple of my nails, which is not normal for me.

From the dancer's point of view, I don't see much use for either of these textures. They don't lend an air of glamor. I guess the Sugar Coat could give you a kind of sandy mermaidy look, but I also think it would feel awful against silk veils and any sort of lightweight flowy costuming material. It probably wouldn't actually snag, but you'd constantly feel like it was. Besides which, if you're close enough to your audience that they can see the texture, you'll also be close enough that they can see all the weird gaps around the edges where you couldn't get it to go on smoothly. Lastly, who knows how long this texture trend will last, it might already be passe by the end of the year and then you'll have this weird nail polish that you never want to wear again. Save your money and go buy something glittery instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, please feel free to ask questions, post encouragement, make jokes, and otherwise be a part of my blog!