Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dance, dance, dance, then party, party, party!

Day 62 of practice.

No Plaza de Anaya for me tonight, instead I am off to the VIP Dinner and Concert for Wild Wild West Con! My inner steampunk (her name is Miss Sophia Freelove Greene) is going to come out and play.

But before I get all gussied up (oh yes, there will be gussying!), I had to get some dance practice. First, shimmy drills with Rachel Brice. I was feeling a little wussy today, and pressed for time, so I stopped when she got to 3/4 shimmies. I am so bad at 3/4 shimmies, sometimes I feel like they're going to take away my belly dancing license. Since the shimmies warmed me up nicely, I jumped into veil practice. I even did some simple floorwork, although I don't know if that will make it into my performance or not. Then I did some Anaya Tribal fast moves, to the song "Turbo Tabla 4" which I know really well because we dance to a remix of it at Anaya Tribal class fairly regularly. Being more familiar with it allows me to have a lot of fun matching up specific moves with different parts of the music and makes me feel like maybe I can go ahead and keep my belly dancing license. But then I decided to practice my zills along with some basic tribal moves, and I began to once again fear the belly dance police. My zills sounded awful! Even so, I got bored of doing the same three moves over and over again, so I decided to do some of them leading with my left foot instead of my right, which didn't make me sound any worse and was good practice and left me feeling more balanced.

Now -- the gussying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, please feel free to ask questions, post encouragement, make jokes, and otherwise be a part of my blog!