Tuesday, March 29, 2011

True Story

Day 87 of practice.

Today's practice was nothing spectacular, so instead let me tell you a little story. It's inspired by a comment I made on yesterday's post, about being able to do beginner moves in my sleep.

My Anaya Tribal teacher Cari is a real stickler for posture! She's especially keen on beautiful arms -- no locking your elbows, and no droopy arms, even if you've been in class for three hours and you're exhausted. When we're dancing, if she sees anyone with droopy arms in the mirror, she calls out "elbows up!" causing us all to check ourselves. And truth be told, for many months I was usually one of the culprits, because I was also going to a hardcore high-intensity weight lifting gym and my arms were invariably tired before I even got to class.

So one night, I was drifting off to sleep, and I had a semi-lucid dream where I thought I was actually back in Anaya class instead of in bed, and I distinctly heard Cari call out "elbows up!" so of course I corrected myself... but I was just awake enough that I actually did try to bring my arms up, which jerked me right out of sleep!

There you have it. I can not only do beginner moves in my sleep, but I do them with perfect posture, too, thanks to Cari!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, please feel free to ask questions, post encouragement, make jokes, and otherwise be a part of my blog!