Thursday, January 20, 2011

Practicing Leadership

Day 20 of practice.

Thursday nights are of course Anaya Tribal nights! My goal is to eventually join Anaya's student troupe, Qadesh. One of the requirements is to be able to lead any and all of the moves in the Anaya vocabulary. However, I tend to be more of a follower than a leader, and when I do lead, I usually stick to a few moves that I know well and enjoy doing. So I'm trying to push my boundaries. Tonight, I volunteered to lead a move that we had just learned, even though it involved a layered shimmy -- another of my weaknesses. I'd love to say that I rocked it, but I did in fact end up being off-beat (my *other* weakness). But I lead it three times, so go me!

Also tonight, I signed up for workshops with Mira Bentz in April... so I guess that will be something like a reward for what should, at that point, be over 3 months of practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, please feel free to ask questions, post encouragement, make jokes, and otherwise be a part of my blog!